This past week I celebrated my birthday and I had an excellent weekend celebrating, including a great Ethiopian meal with friends, a Barbeque potluck at a friend’s patio and games at Snakes and Lattes. I was treated to a homemade breakfast and tasty dinner, beautiful flowers from my parents AND… the start of some important trip related gear!
My friends banded together and surprised and spoiled me with a gift certificate to Mountain Equipment Co-op AND a water purifier which will certainly come in handy. We had fun trying it out, even if it was on our safe-to-drink tap water.
The purifier was definitely on our very preliminary list of things to get. Other things we will have to consider for our trip that we don’t yet have:
- A light and functional laptop (we are thinking of using icloud for storage rather than lugging around an external harddrive)
- Packing cubes
- Sleep sacks
- Other bags (compression sacks, bags for dirty clothes, electronics bag, etc)
- Appropriate footwear (hiking shoes)
- E-reader (we already have one but I think we’ll each want our own)
- First aid kit
- Travel medications (malaria pills, etc.)
- An international travel friendly credit card